No one knows the importance of having a good towing company by your side better than someone who has borne the brunt of a roadside breakdown or an unfortunate accident in the middle of nowhere. It goes without saying that in order to have a good towing company come to your assistance in the times of need, it is necessary that you find one when you are at home away from emergencies. If you choose to ignore the exercise of finding a good towing company, you are doing it at your own peril. It is wise to carry out a research and provide yourself with the contact number of a good towing company before you leave home.
Having emphasized upon the importance of a good towing company, it is imperative that you know how to differentiate between the good, bad and ugly towing companies. A prior research on towing companies will leave you in good stead when you need the assistance of the company in times of need. Although it is not a big task to find a towing company, finding a reliable and truthful towing company certainly is.
To ease you out of this predicament, here are few tips that will allow you to choose a good towing company:
1. A good place to begin your search is by calling your auto insurance provider. Ask them the names of companies they have alliance with. This will come in handy when you need to claim the cost of towing from your insurance provider.
2. Make use of the internet and ask your acquaintances for suggestions. Make use of their recommendations while homing on to a towing company. Besides getting an idea on which service to choose, you will also be educated on which ones to avoid.
3. Ask the terms and conditions of the company you wish to go with. Make sure they tell you the distance that they will willingly tow your vehicle for. Besides this, do ask the method of payment i.e whether you have to pay them upfront and get reimbursed from the insurer or will they be directly paid by the insurer.
4. It is wise to choose a company that is not just a towing company. Go for a company that offers roadside support, 24X7 assistance, secure vehicle storage, auctioning etc. Such companies usually provide additional assistance such as jump starting the vehicle, changing its tires or unlocking the car to avoid towing at all.
5. Ask them the names of organizations they provide towing services to. This will give you a fair idea of their quality of service, level of commitment and work culture since most of the organizations maintain a certain standard of services that they need to get from a particular service provider.
6. With rapid advancements in technology, a multitude of specialized towing equipment has come into use. Specialized equipment is used to cater of situations that need specialized towing. Some equipment is used for towing small vehicles while the other is used to recover heavy and commercial vehicles out of a ditch. Ask the company a few questions such as how often do they maintain their towing equipment, do they outsource maintenance or have in house repair facility, what is the year of make of their trucks etc. This will allow you to ascertain whether the towing company has the best option for your vehicle or not.
7. In case you are already in the middle of a breakdown, call a towing company that is located closest to you. While this may seem an obvious thing not worth mentioning, the fact remains that many people falter on this aspect. This is because companies advertise anywhere and everywhere on the highways irrespective of their location. If a company truck arrives at your location from far off, it will add that mileage to the tow. Make use of the map in your smartphone to know the location of the company you are calling and also to allow the towing service find you faster.
If followed in letter and spirit, these tips will go a long way in avoiding hassles when the inevitable happens. All that you can do to bear the blow is prepare for it ahead of time by adhering to the above mentioned tips while calling a towing company.